Wednesday, June 18, 2008

God Moves in a Mysterious Way

I am in the process of reading a book by John Piper called "The Hidden Smile of God." I understand that this book is one of a series of books that he has written about historical men of the faith. This particular book recounts the lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd. Piper has done an excellent job in using accounts from the lives of these men and applying them to daily life and Christian struggles. I would highly recommend this, and any of Piper's other books, to anyone. The book has been very edifying.

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take,
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy, and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the lord by feeble sense,
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

~William Cowper

4 comments:

John said...

I like your blog and I like this hymn. May the Lord bless you today!

v2 - Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sovereign will.

v6 - Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.

cyberhymnal

Anonymous said...

I am actually reading the first book in the series on Augustine, Luther and Calvin, called 'The Legacy of Sovereign Joy.' What I appreciate so far is that he doesn't just dismiss the mens flaws, but brings out the whole picture.
I like your blog as well, Ang :D

Angela said...

John, thanks for the additional verses. I didn't know there was more to that song. What beautiful description of God's workings!

Angela said...

Melissa, I agree that Piper has done an excellent job showing both sides of the coin. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!