Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Finishing the Race

"The last days of William Carey were the best. His sun went down in all the splendour of a glowing faith and a burning self-sacrifice. Blow succeeded blow, but only that the fine gold of his trust, his humility, and his love might be seen to be the purer."

~George Smith, biographer

"With respect to myself, I consider my race as nearly run. The days of our years are three score years and ten, and I am now only three months short of that age, and repeated [illness] has weakened my constitution. But I do not look forward to death with any painful anticipations. I cast myself on and plead the efficacy of that atonement, which will not fail me when I need it."

~William Carey

"At this time I paid him my last visit. He was seated near his desk in the study, dressed in his usual neat attire; his eyes were closed, and his hands clasped together. On his desk was the proof sheet of the last chapter of the [translated] New Testament, which he had revised a few days before. His appearance, as he sat there, filled me with awe; for he appeared as then listening to the Master's summons, and as waiting to depart. I sat, in his presence, for about half an hour, and not one word was uttered; for I feared to break that solemn silence, and call back to earth the soul that seemed almost in heaven. At last, however, I spoke; and well do I remember the identical words that passed between us, though more that thirty-six years have elapsed since then. I said, 'My dear friend, you evidently are standing on the borders of the eternal world. Do not think it wrong then, if I ask what are your feelings in the immediate prospect of death?' The question roused him and he earnestly replied, 'As far as my personal salvation is concerned, I have not the shadow of a doubt. I know Whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day. But when I think that I am about to appear in the presence of a holy God, and remember all my sins and manifold imperfections, I tremble.' He could say no more. The tears trickled down his cheeks, and after a while he relapsed into the same state of silence from which I had aroused him. Deeply solemn was that interview, and important the lesson I then received. Here was one of the most holy and harmless men whom I ever knew. Whilst thus convinced of the certainty of his salvation, through the merits of that Saviour whom he had preached, yet so impressed with the exceeding sinfulness of sin, that he trembled at the thought of appearing before a holy God! A few days after this event, Dr. Carey retired to his bed, from which he never rose."

~Mr. Gogerly, close friend

No comments: