Thursday, November 13, 2008

Praying for a Nation

Today I was reading in the book of Jeremiah. The prophet had sent a letter to the people of Israel who were taken into exile in Babylon by King Nebuchadnezzer. In Jeremiah's letter I came across this verse: "Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare." (Jeremiah 29:7)

We as Christians know that this world is not our true home, yet we are called to be here for a little while. What encouraged me about this verse is that we ought to be praying on behalf of our country and for it's welfare. There are many concerning things in a world-wide sense of course, but America is one of the most sinful countries in the world. I admit that praying for my country has not been a big priority until now, but I was greatly convicted by this verse. In Exodus 32 Moses made intercession to the Lord on Israel's behalf to keep the nation from being destroyed in God's anger. This demonstrates the power that effectual prayer can have on a nation and how important this type of prayer truly is.

No comments: