Sunday, August 17, 2008

God's Will and Promises

I've been thinking about God's promises to the Christian that He will never leave us or forsake us, and how He works everything for our good. How can God say no to something He has promised? He can't without making himself out to be a liar, which God obviously could never do. Even in placing the Christian in undesirable circumstances, He is working out good in his/her life and fulfilling His own promises. At the same time, God often places certain desires in our hearts to point us in the right direction. How does the Christian discern the desires of his own heart and possible ulterior motives from the actual will of God?

I've heard it said that in praying and trying to determine the will of God, the Christian should also appeal to the promises of God. Even though this may not make the choice clearer or provide any greater sense of direction, it is hard to go wrong in appealing to the promises of God. It seems that the two can hardly be separated when trying to determine the will of God for our lives. No matter where you are at in your Christian walk, I believe that it is certain that God has a purpose for placing you exactly where you are and exactly at this time, even though you may not know where you are going next. I discovered these poems a few days ago and found them very encouraging on that note.

Go the the depths of God's promise,
And claim whatsoever you will;
The blessing of God will not fail you,
His word He will surely fulfill.

~Author unknown

In the center of the circle
Of the will of God I stand:
There can come no second causes,
All must come from His dear hand.
All is well for it's my Father
Who my life has planned.

Shall I pass through the waves of sorrow?
Then I know it will be best;
Though I cannot tell the reason,
I can trust, and so am blest.
God is Love, and God is faithful,
So in perfect Peace I rest.

With the shade and with the sunshine,
With the joy and with the pain,
Lord, I trust You! both are needed,
Each Your wayward child to train,
Earthly loss, if we will know it,
Often means our heavenly gain.

~I.G.W.

No comments: