Wednesday, September 8, 2010

William Carey, Part 4

Quotes from the first converts of William Carey's ministry in India:

  • "I have been the greatest of sinners, but I wish only to think of the death of Christ. I rejoice that I can no longer despise the Gospel." ~Gokool
  • "I have this week been thinking of the power of God, that he can do all things; and of the necessity of minding all his commands. I have thought also of my mother a great deal, who is now become old, and who is constantly crying about me, thinking that I have dishonored the family and am lost. Oh that I could but once go and tell her of the good news, as well as my brothers and sisters, and open their eyes to the way of salvation!" ~Krishna
  • "In my mind there is this: I see that all the idols are nothing, and that Jesus Christ is the only Savior. If I can believe in him, and walk in his commandments, it may be well with me." ~Ram
  • "I am a great sinner; yet I wish continually to think of the death of Christ." ~Rasoo
  • "In this country there are many ways; the ways of idols. Yet all these are in vain. Jesus Christ's death, and Jesus Christ's commands--this is the way of life! I long to see Christ's kingdom grow. Yet the blessing does not come from us: God can bless the weakest of our words." ~Jeymooni

No comments: