Thursday, October 29, 2009

Poetry by Amy Carmichael

O Splendour of God's Will

O Splendour of God's Will,
Clear shining mystery,
I worship and am still
Hushed by the thought of Thee;
Thy great and noble ways
Lowland and mountain know,
Fair flower bells chime their praise,
And to Thee the waters flow.

O Will most lovable,
Young budding trees aflame
And all things beautiful
Illuminate Thy name,
Far hast Thou passed my prayer,
Good hast Thou been to me,
Thy lover everywhere,
Blessed Will, make me to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

River of God

O River of God, Thy quickening streams,
Cause me to bud again;
My winter past as one who dreams
I see my summer reign.
For my bare height fresh pasture yields,
Where never grass did grow;
And in the borders of my fields
I see fair lilies blow.

My glowing sand becomes a pool
And all around is green,
And all is restful, quiet, cool,
As in a deep ravine.
O for a worthy song to sing
Thy goodness unto me.
Lord Jesus my eternal Spring,
All glory be to Thee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shadow and Coolness

Shadow and coolness, Lord,
Art Thou to me;
Cloud of my soul, lead on,
I follow Thee.
What though the hot winds blow,
Fierce heat beats up below,
Fountains of water flow-
Praise, praise to Thee.

Clearness and glory, Lord,
Art Thou to me;
Light of my soul, lead on,
I follow Thee.
All through the moonless night,
Making its darkness bright,
Thou art my Heavenly Light-
Praise, praise to Thee.

Shadow and Shine art Thou
My Lord, to me;
Pillar of cloud and fire,
I follow Thee.
What though the way be long,
In Thee my heart is strong,
Thou art my joy, my song-
Praise, praise to Thee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strength of My Heart

Strength of my heart, I need not fail,
Not mine to fear but to obey.
With such a Leader who could quail?
Thou art as Thou wert yesterday.
Strength of my heart, I rest in Thee,
Fulfill Thy purposes through me.

Strength of my heart, though suns burn low
And fades the green from all the earth,
Thy quenchless hope would fervent glow,
From barren waste would spring to birth.
Hope of my heart, O cause to be,
Renewals of Thy hope in me.

Love of my heart, my stream runs dry,
O fountain of the heavenly hills,
Love, blessed Love, to Thee I cry,
Flood all my secret hidden rills.
Water of love, come, pour through me;
I must have love, I must have Thee.

O, give me love, then I have all,
For love casts out tormenting fear,
And love sounds forth a trumpet call,
To valiant hope, and sweet and clear
The birds of joy sing in my tree,
Love of my heart, when I have Thee.

No comments: