Friday, August 7, 2009

A Service to the Flock

The other night I was thinking about the role of the pastor and shepherd of the flock. Part of that role includes church discipline, which I have seen first-hand place great pressure on men of God. While thinking about the weight placed on pastors to carry out church discipline I came across this quote in a book I am reading. It is an excellent quote from the perspective of a Shepherd that I was blessed by.

"Remember the nature of my office, and the care incumbent on me for the welfare of your immortal souls....Consider whatever may appear in my discourses harsh, earnest or alarming, not as the effects of enthusiasm, but as the rational dictates of a heart impressed with a sense both of the value of the soul and the importance of eternity....By recollecting the awful consequences of my neglect, you will be more inclined to receive favorably any well-meant admonitions." ~Charles Simeon

No comments: