Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cross-Bearing

Last week Bob gave a message on cross-bearing that was really encouraging. He began by speaking on Christ's cross-bearing and then went on to talk about the Christian's cross-bearing, which was especially helpful. I think it is good to be reminded that we do not bear our crosses alone but Christ bears them with us. Knowing that Christ is always with us to help in our cross-bearing makes the crosses seem lighter and the distance to bear them seem shorter. In my reading this week I came across this uplifting poem that reminded me of Bob's message.


"The road is too rough," I said;
"It is uphill all the way;
No flowers, but thorns instead;
And the skies overhead are gray."
But One took my hand at the entrance dim,
And sweet is the road that I walk with Him.

"The cross is too great," I cried--
"More than the back can bear,
So rough and heavy and wide,
And nobody near to care."
And One stooped softly and touched my hand:
"I know. I care. And I understand."

Then why do we fret and cry;
Cross-bearers as we go:
But the road ends by and by
In the dearest place we know,
And every step in the journey we
May take in the Lord's own company.

~Author Unknown

No comments: