Monday, April 6, 2009

George Muller's Testimony

To give a little background, before his conversion George Muller was an accomplished liar. He was fond of pleasure and sin, he denied himself nothing, and often lied in order to get what he wanted or to cover up his actions. After breaking trust with his father, Muller went off to college where he met other young men who were equally wicked. Spending what little money he had on frivolous living, Muller and his friends resorted to dishonesty in order to obtain passports and essentials for a luxurious trip to Switzerland. Even after living out the experiences of his dreams, Muller was not satisfied but God was preparing his heart. The following account is taken from Valuable Selections from the Writings of George Muller.

"The time was now come when God would have mercy upon me. His love had been set upon such a wretch as I was before the world was made. His love had sent His Son to bear punishment on account of my sins, and to fulfil the law which I had broken times without number. And now at a time when I was as careless about Him as ever, He sent His Spirit into my heart. I had no Bible, and had not read in it for years. I went to church but seldom; but, from custom, I took the Lord's supper twice a year. I had never heard the gospel preached up to the beginning of November, 1825. I had never met with a person who told me that he meant, by the help of God, to live according to the Holy Scriptures. In short, I had not the least idea that there were any persons really different from myself, except in degree."

Upon returning from Switzerland, Muller was searching and empty. When a friend of his with some degree of morality invited him to a Christian gathering, Muller agreed. It was there that he was significantly impacted by his first exposure to true Christianity. After that evening and his encounter with Christians, Muller says this:

"Now my life became very different, though all sins were not given up at once. My wicked companions were given up; the going to taverns was entirely discontinued; the habitual practice of telling falsehoods was no longer indulged in, but still a few times after that I spoke an untruth...I now no longer lived habitually in sin...I read the Scriptures, prayed often, loved the brethren, went to church from right motives, and stood on the side of Christ, though laughed at by my fellow students...What all the exhortations and precepts of my father and others could not effect; what all my own resolutions could not bring about, even to renounce a life of sin and profligacy; I was enabled to do, constrained by the love of Jesus. The individual who desires to have his sins forgiven, must seek for it through the blood of Jesus. The individual who desires to get power over sin, must likewise seek it through the blood of Jesus." pages 12, 13, 14

1 comment:

Heather Harris said...

Hi,

I stumbled upon your blog through searching for George Muller's testimony. Thank you for posting that and for your outward faithfulness to our Lord Jesus Christ. I pray He'll bless your efforts here for His ultimate glory!

From a sister in Christ,
Heather