Friday, March 13, 2009

Thoughts on the Shepherd

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake." Psalm 23:1-3

"Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd." Matthew 9:36

"...For out of you shall come forth a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel." Matthew 2:6

"What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying? If it turns out that he finds it, truly I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine which have not gone astray. So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish." Matthew 18:12-14

What rejoicing we should harbor in our hearts that He was not content with the ninety-nine, but sought us out in our sins! Not only that, but He did not leave us to care for ourselves once we were found. He is the Shepherd of Souls and continues saving and keeping us day by day.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Amen! Thanks for the reminder.