Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Quotes from David Brainerd

I am currently reading "The Life and Diary of David Brainerd," which was edited by Jonathan Edwards after Brainerd's death. The following are quotes taken from the pages of Brainerd's diary that I found very compelling and convicting.

"I felt my ingratitude, because I was not wholly swallowed up in God." pg 52

"Longed with intense desire after God; my whole soul seemed impatient to be conformed to him, and to become "holy, as he is holy." pg 55

"My soul seemed so to reach and stretch towards the mark of perfect sanctity, that it was ready to break with longings." pg 57

"My soul delighted to be a stranger and pilgrim on the earth; I felt a disposition in me never to have anything to do with this world." pg 58

"My soul felt a pleasing, yet painful concern, lest I should spend some moments without God. O may I always live to God!" pg 59

"But of late, God has been pleased to keep my soul hungry, almost continually, so that I have been filled with a kind of pleasing pain. When I really enjoy God, I feel my desires of him the more insatiable, and my thirstings after holiness the more unquenchable, and the Lord will not allow me to feel as though I were fully supplied and satisfied, but keeps me still reaching forward. I feel barren and empty, as though I could not live without more of God." pg 60

No comments: